Forum home Problem solving

giant hedge

jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 456
I have about a 100ft area i want to screen from my neighbors.  Would like fast growing evergreen hedge.  Im in zone 7b.  Here are some things im trying.  Any suggestions for something that grws faster would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance. The red tip photenias seem to be doing the best so far.  The bamboo and the nellie r stevens are tied for second.  This is the first section need to screen two more.    P.s.  I Hate the powerlines.  Government gave them to me.  

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,102
    Does it have to be just one type of plant? Would a mixed hedge work? It would be more i interesting than 100ft of the same thing. Also, if one or two types didn't work out, you wouldn't have to replace the whole hedge.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    Find out which native plants would make good hedging as they will attract most wildlife and also cope best with your soil and climate.

Beware anything that grows fast as it will become a thug and need constant pruning to keep it in bounds.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 456
    I have tried many of the native trees and some have done well and others have not.  I am still learning and like to experiment.  Here is one of my newest experiments.  A redwood that is in its second year.  It has a long way to go to reach adulthood. I tried a giant sequaia but it didnt like our summer.
    this is our native plumb tree.  Wildlife like it and it makes great jelly.  It makes a thicket and spreads.  Do you like it as a hedge?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,547
    Yes, I like the sound of that one. You've got plenty of room there by the look of it. How high does it grow and is it an evergreen shrub?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    That works very well as far as I can see ... and will be great for wildlife. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,102
    It gets my vote too😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    i really like it but it isnt an evergreen.  Im going to plant it anyway because it does very well and makes a thicket.  Max height is about 10ft or 3meters.  Makes excellent jam and wildlife eats it.  The plums are about as big as a golfball.  The stone is large.  The taste is a little bit more tart than a store bought plum but still very good.  I can dig them up for free from my neighbor