Forum home Problem solving

Pyrus Chanticleer not blooming

Hi. I'm a complete novice to gardening so I'm hoping someone here can help me. I planted 3x 14' pyrus chanticleer in mid-March to screen off a new property build to the rear of my garden. Since planting, the trees have gradually started to produce leaves, but I have no white flowers which I believe are common for this time of year. The trees cost me a considerable amount of money and I'm a.bit concerned that I haven't done something correctly to look after them since they have gone in. If anyone knows if this is common with them being newly planted it would certainly out my mind at ease. Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    Hi @chrisgough92 and welcome  :)

A photo of your trees and where they’re situated, a description of the site and soil and how it was prepared for planting, together with details of their care since planting will help us to advise you. 

However my first thought is that large trees planted only a few weeks ago are hopefully putting their energy into developing a substantial root system to provide the energy for the top growth ... flowers are of secondary importance at this stage. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,177
    A photo would help get an idea of what the trees look like in terms of height and bulk etc.

Also, were they supplied pot-grown or bare root?

Are they well staked? 

However, without the benefit of a photo or other information, I would venture to suggest the following. 

The trees have only just been planted. They are literally still finding their feet. Their roots will not have had time to make proper contact with the soil yet and will be struggling to take up water to supply the top growth. Are you keeping them well watered? I mean well watered?

It’s been warm and sunny and quite windy here - conditions that cause stress even in established trees.

If they are not staked, they could be suffering from wind rock which would affect water uptake too.

Let’s assume that they are staked and secure and well watered. Pears flower on spurs, little side branches that are formed the previous year. Do your trees have spurs or are the branches just long thin whippy things? Without the formation of spurs made last year, you won’t have flowers this year.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks for the quick responses. I have attached a couple of photos showing the trees but from what I've read in your replies, it looks like I was perhaps expecting too much given they only went in the ground a few weeks back.

Trees are in a South facing position so have plenty of sunlight. They were rootball trees and planted immediately after delivery. The ground was prepared by removing all weeds etc and planting at a depth to just above the top of the rootball as advised by the nursery where I purchased. Since planting, I have covered with a permeable membrane and added a thin layer of stones to again not make the depth too high. This was again said to have been ok by the nursery. 

As can be seen, plenty of leaves have formed (trees were bare on delivery with just buds on the branches) I have noticed the odd white flower over the last few weeks but none present now. Trees have been watered pretty much every day given how dry it's been.

Thanks
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    edited April 2020
    Re watering ... I would give each of them at least 2 large buckets of water twice a week ... three times a week wouldn’t be too much, and every day in a hot dry spell, from now until mid September. 

They look lovely (and expensive) trees. Good luck with them. Looking forward to seeing pics of them in blossom next spring 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh