Forum home Tools and techniques

Manual Core Aerator for Lawn

Looking for advice on whether these work or if I'd be better sticking with the tried and trusted fork. I can't run to a petrol machine for the amount of use it would get

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,543
    did have one.
    I found that on pushing it into the surface, a plug of soil jammed in each of the holes and had to be unblocked before using again - quite possibly due to my hard compacted soil, but that was the reason I bought it in the first place.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 959
    I have one, used once and chucked in the shed.

As much use as an ash tray on a motorbike, clogged immediately and I have light, sandy soil. Only after buying it and using it did I look for and fine find many, many reviews saying the same thing.

For the past 2 Autumns I've just got my local Lawn Master to hollow tine the grass for about £45/50.
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    edited April 2020
    I brought one a couple of years ago. I agree, not easy to use but it depends when you use it. I used it in February when my lawn was soft under foot and it worked quite well except when you hit a stone in the sub soil. The cores normally push out from the top and I just picked them up and chucked them on the boarder.
    In fairness the holes made by the hollow tines makes it easy to apply the lawn top dressing that falls in to the holes 
    I would say that if you have a large lawn then a mechanical type aerator would be a better option, but for smaller lawns, then a good tool to use 
  • Thanks for the responses. I think I may stick to the fork
  • Sam76Sam76 Posts: 103
    I have one & it works well. Just do a bit at a time if you have a large area to do. I use a metal stick to poke out the soil cores after each go. Then I fill the holes with a grit/compost mix
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 605
    I use mine every spring much easier on the back than a fork and quicker ,I spray the inside of the prongs with wd40 before I start and the plugs come out no bother.
  • Sam76 said:
    I have one & it works well. Just do a bit at a time if you have a large area to do. I use a metal stick to poke out the soil cores after each go. Then I fill the holes with a grit/compost mix
    Thanks for that but sounds  a little too fiddly for me
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    Hi Andrew
    To be fair, a hollow tine fork is better if your top dressing your lawn. As other have stated, it depends on the size of your lawn. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,290
    Just use a garden fork and wiggle it back and forth to enlarge the holes.  Then you can pour on/brush in the grit or sharp sand to keep them open.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw