Forum home Problem solving

Can this "Lawn" be saved?

Hi

Looking for advice on the best course of action for this "lawn". To be fair it was looking a lot happier this morning but I knew it was an uneven mess underneath so finally strimmed it right back to get a proper look at the situation and as you can see... it's not good. Less of a lawn more of a dirt patch with scattered tufts. The earth between the clumps of grass is very hard and bad quality, big stones etc. Can anything be done? I'd rather not dig it all up and start from scratch although I've a feeling that will be the general consensus. If anyone has any great ideas to save me that job I'm all ears. 

In Hope
Dave

• B3B3 Posts: 21,473
    I think the first thing to do is to work out how it got like that. Is it very shady?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • It's a good point. It's a bit of a mixed bag. I wouldn't say it's particularly shady, the garden is West facing so it all gets a dose of sun at some point during the day. I would say the soil quality could be an issue, there appears to be a fair amount of debris in there, plastic bits, rusty nails, old springs you name it and it's quite stoney too. We also have a dog and her pee probably isn't helping things. She's away with my mother during this lockdown so hoping that might give me a chance to do something.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,473
    Female dog pee kills grass so that's definitely one  of your problems😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • GartenerGartener South EastPosts: 99
    You may be better of re-turfing it.