Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ponds and sycamore trees

I've read that it's not good to have sycamore trees next to ponds but I'm not sure why that's the case. I was hoping you may be able to help. 

I planned to put a fish pond at the bottom of the garden under two very mature sycamore trees (behind the holly bush, where the storage is):

If roots are the issue, I assume that shouldn't be a problem in this case as the trees are already mature?

If leaves are the issue, presumably we can mitigate that by placing a net over the pond in the autumn. 

The helicopter seeds would likely fall in... Is that a problem? If so, I could try to fish them out with a net?

Is there anything else I need to consider? The trees don't belong to us so I don't have the option to do anything about them. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    I wonder if, alongside the leaves and seeds issue, it could be to do with the sooty mould on the honeydew from aphids that tends to drip from sycamores?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 237
    I've always assumed its the helicopters. I imagine netting them out becomes a real chore and you'll be here in 12 months time saying " it's not good to have sycamore trees next to ponds"  :D