Forum home Fruit & veg

Pear tree

I would like some advise on this pear tree, it was in the garden when we bought our house but had been neglected like the whole garden, it had fruit last year but was rotten on the tree, pruned it back but I would like to get it back to its best and find out the variety of fruit 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,491
    I'm sorry ... I think that would be more trouble than it is worth ... why not get rid of it and buy a lovely new pear tree ... we have a Concorde (self fertile) which is a cross between a Comice and a Conference ... delicious.   We planted it as a feathered maiden and it only took four years to fruit.   We've trained it as an espalier.  

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/pears/variety-concorde.php
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 237
    I've just planted a Concorde next to my plum tree. 

Agree with removing and replanting a new fruit tree.
  • spiddockspiddock Posts: 29
    I have a plum tree in similar condition, remove also?
    edited April 2020
    I would ... the bark on the trunk is in poor condition and the young growth looks to be coming from below the graft so they're suckers. Take the bull by the horns, prepare a new planting site well and get a new tree from a good supplier and choose a variety you're going to like.  

I've nothing to do with this company, but they have a really helpful website and a great reputation https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Seems a shame but thanks for the advise, did hope I could save them but I will start with some new ones 
    edited April 2020
    It makes sense ... better to do it now than five years down the line when you've been trying to save them but never really getting decent fruit from them., and then having to start all over.   I can be quite hard headed and sensible from time to time  ;)

This fruits peaches but is so tall I can't pick them, be tricky to remove any advise on this one, sorry to keep asking but fairly new to this 
    If the fruit is too high to reach you have two options in my opinion ... you can either decide you like it, leave it to fruit and provide the birds with a feast or you can take it down and replace it.  Your garden, your choice.   :)

I'll leave for the birds, thanks for the help