Forum home Problem solving

Moving Solanum Glasnevin

rolands_50throlands_50th Benfleet Essex Posts: 6
I bought and planted a solanum glasnevin last April/May whilst it was in full bloom. It did wonderfully. I didn’t realise how much it would grow, so I moved it a couple of weeks ago (early April) before the buds started blooming. It is about 16ft further down the garden. It has the same aspect and light, but now the leaves are going yellow and it’s drooping.
I did soak the root ball before replanting and watered it every day for 4 days. I fed it with “liquid grow more 7-7-7” (nitrogen 7%, ureic nitrogen 4.9%, phosphorus pentoxide 7% (3.1% P), potassium oxide 7% (5.8% K)).
It is beginning to bloom.
What have I done wrong and how can I help it? 

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    edited April 2020
    I assume the roots are struggling to support the top growth. I would cut it down at least by half. It will grow back vigorously. There's no need to give it fertiliser.
  • rolands_50throlands_50th Benfleet Essex Posts: 6
    Can I let it flower first before I cut it down to half size?
    It was doing absolutely fine supporting much growth before I moved it. The only thing I could think of was I damaging the root ball and over watered it. Although it did seem to go downhill quickly once I put the liquid feed on it. I checked I hadn’t made it up too strong. I also wondered if the feed goes off, as I think it is a few years old.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    I don't recommend you wait until the flowers open. Sometimes, you have to either work with the weather and not move it until weather is cooler, but since it's rather dry and warm, you really need to prune down the whole shrub to a minimum of half of its current size for it to survive.

As you say, they put on growth quite fast anyway. Just continue to water it generously around the base early morning or late evening time, they will hopefully revive and give you a second flush later in the year.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    edited April 2020
    The point of cutting it down is to reduce the water loss via the leaves. The plant is losing water faster than it can take it up through the roots, because the roots will inevitably have been damaged when you moved it. So if you're going to do it, there's no point in waiting.

You did right to water it heavily. When you move a plant in dry warm weather it's important to do so! The plant is in 'critical condition' for a while, until it's roots have recovered.

Rather than cut the whole thing in half you could do it carefully, making sure you retain some flowering stems. Obviously remove the wilted stems first. But if it survives it will grow away quite vigorously and flower in any case.
  • Tanty2Tanty2 Posts: 213
    I have moved by Solanum Glasnevin three times in five years and each time it thrives, but I think it's cos I always cut it back really hard, then water and mulch well.  It's a really robust plant, and will recover from a hard pruning.
  • rolands_50throlands_50th Benfleet Essex Posts: 6
    Thank you both. That’s my task during tomorrow’s lock-down
    Regards, Linda