Forum home Problem solving

Morning Glory

Should I soak the seeds overnight, before sowing them in open ground?

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 905
    Never seen the need they generally germinate pretty easily.
  • PommesPommes Posts: 6
    Thank you. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    If you're sowing them outside, they'll need protection from frosts and cool temperatures until mid to late May depending on where you are.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,174
    I soak overnight before sowing in modules before sowing indoors.  I don't plant them out until early June ... the leaves will turn white and they will stop growing if exposed to temps less than the low teens.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,601
    I too soak overnight and wouldn’t risk planting out until any chance of frost is over! Been caught out before that way but I do find they germinate well and grow quickly. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,174
    I sow mine when I sow my runner beans ... in about a week's time.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,025
    I don't sow mine until May, to go outside in mid June. Of all the tender seeds / tubers I grow, I find them to be the most temperature dependant. 
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 905
    Perhaps then I’m just lucky they seem to love. Life in a Parisian suburb and certainly don’t need pampering here.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    I suspect a sheltered Parisian suburb is generally a lot warmer than most of the UK in April and May.   Certainly never put mine outside in the Belgian garden before mid May and then in a sunny, sheltered spot.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw