Forum home Wildlife gardening

Eggs scattered on the lawn

:'( This is the second day that I have found 2 what appears to be starling eggs (blue colour)  in different locations on the lawn left intact...... they were in the middle of the lawn no where near the trees or neighbours hedges...

If I left them in the hedgehog bowl this evening would they eat them?

• batwood14batwood14 Posts: 193
    I have just had similar  - found a blackbird egg in the lawn today and can't for the life of me see where the nest might be which is quite sad. I can only imagine its has been blown out of the nest as been very windy lately. I am quite sure any mammal that comes along will eat it.
  • Hi Batwood many thanks the wind does make a lot of sense, it is sad will leave out for the hedgehogs hopefully they will take them
  • Ooh that’s really sad. The poor birds they go to so much effort making there nests, flying off with branches that seem as heavier than themselves. It’s sad when it doesn’t work out and they loose there eggs.
  • batwood14batwood14 Posts: 193
    I have also had the pheasants laying the odd egg here and there and just leaving them too. :/
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
    It does sometimes happen that inexperienced birds take a while to cotton on to the idea that they need to be sitting on their nest ‘cos that strange feeling in their innards means they’re about to lay an egg ... 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh