Forum home Problem solving

What are these? Sick dog!



Moved into a new house recently and our dog has been obsessed with this little patch. We fenced it off but she managed to jump over and get into it. Does anyone know what plants these could be? She’s being sick and vets can’t see us until tomorrow so wondering whether to go to the emergency vets. We think it was this she was eating but I’ll post some more pics of the whole patch too.

Posts



  • This is the whole patch, not sure what anything is to be honest!! Maybe chard and we think oregano too? 
  • And this is a close up of what we think she may have eaten.

    thanks in advance!!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    edited April 2020
    They look to me like gladiolus or crocosmia 

    "Corms

    Corms look very similar to true bulbs but are missing the onion-like rings when cut open. Corms are a bulb-like organ that stores the food needed to produce the flower. Common corm plants include: crocosmia (Crocosmia sp.), gladiolus (Gladiolus sp.), freesia (Freesia sp.) and crocus (Crocus sp.). With ingestion of the above-ground parts of these plants, mild gastrointestinal upset can be seen. The corms are more irritating than the above-ground parts and can cause bloody vomiting and diarrhea."

    http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/bulbs-corms-tubers-and-rhizomes-what-potential-toxins-are-lurking-below-the-soil


    If the vomiting is bloody I'd get her straight to the  emergency vet ... if she's just bringing up what she's eaten and then stops vomiting I'd probably wait and take her to your own vet tomorrow ... but remember that I grew up on a farm and farm dogs are tough.  If you won't sleep tonight for worrying I'd go to the emergency vet.  

    And I'm not a vet ... I'm just telling you what I would do if it were my dog.   Good luck ... hope she's better soon.  



    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh







  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    Crocosmia. Probably the invasive one - Montbretia, rather than a nice cultivated variety. 
    i know nothing about dogs, so I don't know if it would affect one. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....


  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,099
    Hello @Firsttimegarden,

    They look like crocosmia corms.
    A quick google search produced this thread .... see the fourth post.

    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/crocosmia-is-it-toxic-to-pets.452280/

    It would be worth speaking to a vet to be on the safe side.

    Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Thank you everyone! Got her booked in the vets tomorrow. No blood or anything so hopefully it’s just a tummy upset! 
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,592
    I'll flag up @Steve the Gardening Vet in the hope he might see this today and give some guidance.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    I wonder whether the previous occupants used something like blood fish and bone meal as a fertiliser?  The smell attracts carnivores.  I've read on the forum of people's gardens being turned over by foxes or badgers after applying BFB.  This might account for your dog's obsession with that area.  Don't know that there's much you could do about it though, except maybe growing something with a pungent smell that would mask it.  I hope she gets better and stays well.
  • Dog do love blood and bone meal and due to the fat content it can put them at risk of pancreatitis so always best avoided. I'd agree that looks like crocosmia and as others have googled, most likely to cause tummy upsets rather than disaster!
Sign In or Register to comment.