Forum home Plants

Planting of Allium “Summer Drummer”

Hi, I purchased three of these from Wilko a couple of years ago and as with all bulbs and “herbaceous perennials”, I lost track of where they were.

Now they are sprouting up in the most inappropriate place. They look like corn plants at about 2m tall with flower heads developing which I understand won’t open until July or August.

My question is this… can I move these at this time of year? Also… I was thinking of planting them together in a cluster… does this sound like the done thing for this variety?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,716
    I don't grow this one @jamesharcourt, but I move lots of things at the 'wrong' time, including alliums.
    If you lift them carefully and get them watered in well in their new spot, they should be fine. They'll go a bit floppy for a while, but they'll perk up. 

I see no reason why you can't plant them in a clump either - but make sure you give them adequate space.  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • lilysillylilysilly Posts: 511
    edited April 2020
    @jamesharcourt I would leave them until after they have flowered and for a few weeks after that so their bulbs could replenish themselves.
    I suppose it depends on how deeply they are planted and your soil type as to how easy it would be to move them now, especially as they are already so tall. In my clay soil I have found it impossible to successfully move bulbs before flowering without damaging or severing the stems. 
    It depends how much you value them and risk damaging them really.
    I planted six in a group last Autumn, in a corner gap behind a tall rose where nothing else did well. They are already way taller than the rose so I'm hopeful they will do well there. I had seen a group planted together in an Open Garden I visited, it looked striking so I've copied it.😃
  • Thanks sillylilly and fairygirl, honestly I could move them without too much damage I think as they aren't deep and haven't been in these spots more than 6 months.  One will more difficult than the other 2 because they are close to some african lillies.  They go quite well foliage wise, perhaps I'll leave that one.  But the other two look so stupid in their current positions I just have to move them - it niggles me every time I look there :-|:-| 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,716
    edited April 2020
    Just move them. They'll annoy you and you'll end up moving them anyway  :)
    I've just dug up and moved some tulips.They're about to flower soon.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Fairygirl said:
    Just move them. They'll annoy you and you'll end up moving them anyway  :)
    I've just dug up and moved some tulips.They're about to flower soon.
    i'm working until 5 and then i'm straight out there on it ... )))