Forum home Problem solving

Artificial plants and flowers

Hi everyone. Seems so trivial with all we have going on, but I thought I’d ask. I’m sure they look great in certain gardens, but I’m not a fan of plastic plants etc in the garden. We have been working really hard in our garden but my wife continues to ‘surprise’ me with plastic topiary and flowers - it makes me cringe and she can read me like a book with my reaction when I try to be polite! However she keeps getting them. If I’m honest it looks dreadful, they break up over time and create litter, are tacky and I hate the thought of neighbours seeing them outside our house! What is the best thing to do, lump it!!? 

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,013
    Grounds for divorce
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    Get a divorce.... ;)

What does she think is the advantage of them @james_pinckney?
    I often walk past a house which has fake Gingko trees in the front garden - a sort of terraced area. Last year, I walked past a few days later, and they'd added troughs on a balcony railing - complete with plastic plants and trailing ivy. It was beyond hideous!  :D            
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Oh dear - I would walk the long way around next time! 

I don’t know, i guess instant short term impact? I want to pull them down and shove them in the bin! Hopefully someone passing will do it for me. But in the meantime some will appear elsewhere 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,021
    Every time she commits such a crime, get rid of the offending item and replace with the real thing.

Plastic decorative pots are bad enough without that nonsense.
  • Every time she commits such a crime, get rid of the offending item and replace with the real thing.

Plastic decorative pots are bad enough without that nonsense.
    Of course - I shall follow that advice!!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    Could you allocate her a section of the garden to do as she likes with, on condition that she leaves the rest alone?  Preferably the bit behind the garage.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    You could dispose of them when she’s not looking then say how some so and so’s only gone and pinched your plastic plants,😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47 said:
    Could you allocate her a section of the garden to do as she likes with, on condition that she leaves the rest alone?  Preferably the bit behind the garage.
    Ha good idea, it’s the darkest and dingiest area - perfect! 
  • Lyn said:
    You could dispose of them when she’s not looking then say how some so and so’s only gone and pinched your plastic plants,😀
    Yes, this one had crossed my mind - I think I’ll let it simmer until the weekend then maybe someone might just take them away mysteriously