Forum home Problem solving

Established tree completely side trimmed by electric company

Hello from America! I have a 30-40 foot wild or tart cherry tree (not sure). It was completely side-trimmed by the electric company. Characteristics= clay soil, 20 feet from house foundation, trimming done mid-winter, wouldn't fall on roof (unless it majorly twisted during a fall).

Can I leave it as-is for a few months until a tree trimmer is in the budget, or is there a great risk of falling? Thank you!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    I think we need a photo.

Electricity companies do regular butcher trees that they think are likely to interfere with overhead cables as they can cause cut-outs.   Round here they do come and ask first tho.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,563
    You could try writiing to the electricity company, stating that you are concerned that the work done to the tree by their contractor may have made the tree unstable, and that you will hold them responsible for damage if it falls.  See what the reaction is.  They should only have removed branches which could damage electrical cables, not stripped all branches from one side of the tree.
  • Thank you for the responses. The electric company will not trouble themselves with this. It's hard to get a picture due to perspective and a lovely puff of blossoms. mathematically- the branches on one side are 1/5th the length of the other side....
    I'm wondering if having pure clay soil is helpful in this situation, to hold the roots securely.
    It would be very easy for me to trim some branches from the long side, but the all knowing internet says one MUST hire a professional. Perhaps I will just be brave about it and conservatively saw them to just above a joint? The extending branches are as thick as a small arm. Thoughts?