Forum home Plants

Newly planted laurels look doomed

Hi
I am just learning. I planted new bare root laurels two weeks ago and as you can see they do not look healthy. I put some chicken manure pellets around them a week ago as I was advised this would help them. I snipped the top of each shoot aswel. they were approx 2/3 ft when planted. I have watered them but they look like they are dying. 
Can anybody give me advice. 

• Buzzy2Buzzy2 Posts: 135
    Try watering them!
  • I have, how much water do they take?
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    We haven't had rain for several weeks when did you last water and how much did you give each plant?

• I water everyday.....and a few days last week I left the house running on different parts for a few hours
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,313
    Even if it did rain,the walls and fence could shelter them from the rain so you would still need to give them a lot of water  at least until they are established 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ok. thank you. would you advise any feed at this stage
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,313
    See how many are still alive after youve given them a good soak. Did you add anything to the soil before you planted them?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Check they are firmed in properly. Also lift one of the dearest looking ones and see how wet the ground is under it or conversely are the roots very soggy looking? Maybe post a pic of them?
  • I just added compost to the soil. then after a week or so I added some chicken manure pellets
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    To be honest, they are all planted too close to the fence. I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but they will in time grow outwards as well as upwards. They will struggle because their planting positions mean they're pushed against the walls. Also, it is ideal to look into getting bark chip mulch to help seal in the moisture. 

Water-wise, try to water deeply into the base early morning or late evenings to get the best from the watering. As the weather warms up, every other day around half a bucket, increasing to a bucket in the summer. Ease up on the watering in autumn and if there has been a lot of rain.