Forum home Problem solving

Both of my pear tree's bases seems to have shrunk?

I have 2 pear trees in my garden, next to each other, and I have recently noticed the bases of the trunks have become shrunken, black and unsteady. However, they are continuing to blossom and growing so I am a little confused with what is wrong with my trees and would greatly appreciate it. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,177
    I think it’s simply that the rootstock isn’t growing as fast as the top growth above the graft ... in other words it’s doing it’s job and controlling the vigour
    of the tree. Mine’s the same ... 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Pear trees are grafted onto 'rootstocks', which are the roots of a different tree and I think that's what you are seeing there.  Could the soil have eroded from that area recently or perhaps the graft point was hidden beneath weeds or other plants before so you've just never really noticed before?  There's a photo on this page which shows a typical pear tree rootstock/graft point and grafted tree:
    PS: Looks like you have Ground elder growing there.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • eesah78612eesah78612 Posts: 5
    edited April 2020
    Thank you so much, that's a huge ease on myself! I'll stake it so it doesn't sway so much. 
  • I think it’s simply that the rootstock isn’t growing as fast as the top growth above the graft ... in other words it’s doing it’s job and controlling the vigour
    of the tree. Mine’s the same ... 

Thanks so much!