Forum home Plants

Bush cut nigh on in half by garden maintenance contractor. Would be grateful for some advice.

TimWGTimWG Posts: 12
edited April 2020 in Plants
Good evening. This bush was deemed to have encroached too far onto a pathway and, in their own words, the contractor said it needed 'trimming back' This is the result which I feel is ghastly. Is there anything that can be done, other than digging up the whole bush. I have no idea what sort of bush it is and whether it will successfully grow back. Many thanks.
«1

Posts

  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,380

    Hello Tim,  Is the bush yours and on your property?  If so, I'd dig it up and plant something else.

    If it's on communal or council ground, you might just have to live with in unfortunately. It may re-sprout as Pansyface says but it's going to look an eyesore for quite some time, I'm afraid.

    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • TimWGTimWG Posts: 12
    Lizzie27 said:

    Hello Tim,  Is the bush yours and on your property?  If so, I'd dig it up and plant something else.

    If it's on communal or council ground, you might just have to live with in unfortunately. It may re-sprout as Pansyface says but it's going to look an eyesore for quite some time, I'm afraid.

    Yes Lizzie we own the property. Unfortunately the work was performed without consultation. I agree, it looks likely that it will be quite some time before it looks better.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,683
    It looks like Box to me, which is good news as it will definitely grow back!
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • TimWGTimWG Posts: 12
    WillDB said:
    It looks like Box to me, which is good news as it will definitely grow back!
    Some encouraging news at least. Thanks WillDB.
  • batwood14batwood14 Posts: 193
    It is a box ball as stated above and will grow back - It will take quite some time though so need to be patient. I have had to cut one fairly severe because of die back and it does always look drastic.

  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,683
    You could actually reshape it once you've started to get some growth back.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • TimWGTimWG Posts: 12
    batwood14 said:
    It is a box ball as stated above and will grow back - It will take quite some time though so need to be patient. I have had to cut one fairly severe because of die back and it does always look drastic.

    Was only a ball many years ago when I made it one sadly. Good to know what it is though!
  • Not too much to add but I'd give it a feed to help it's recovery given that's a hefty prune in one go
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,948
    If it's growing out over a public footpath the council has a duty to keep the footpath clear of obstruction so they were within their rights to cut it back.  If it's on your property nobody had any right to touch it without your permission.
  • TimWGTimWG Posts: 12
    Not too much to add but I'd give it a feed to help it's recovery given that's a hefty prune in one go
    "Hefty' is my sentiments entirely. Thanks for the advice as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.