Forum home Problem solving

HELP Save late Mother's cheese plant!

Hi, I moved my late Mother's old cheese plant (30 years?) from the Highlands to Berkshire and appear to have damaged it.  The leaves are yellow or are wilting and the roots appear to be softened and black.  I laid it on it's side when I moved it and wondering if I damaged the roots.  The soil underneath is quite moist. pictures attached, any help greatly  appreciated! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,174
    I’m sorry but I think the blackening and atrophy at the bottom of the stem means that it’s dying. Don’t think it’s recoverable. ☹️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    I agree - the base of the stem is dead so nothing is getting to the leaves.

It may be worth a try to get a cutting from it though. I've never had one, but google seems to say that cuttings are easy. If some part of the stem with a node on it is in good condition, it may root. Have a look at google-
    https://www.google.com/search?q=monstera+deliciosa+propagation&oq=monstera+deliciosa+prop&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.9431j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Grabbing at straws maybe, but nothing to loose
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks for your response - I feared as much.  Wondering if I take a cutting somehow.  It has some aerial roots which appear to have landed in the soil.  I'll research that a little.
  • Thanks Pete.  I saw that cuttings are possible.  I am going to give that a go.  Maybe something can be saved. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,174
    The aerial roots don’t really feed the plant ... they act more like props.  Google ‘air layering’ and see if you think there’s enough good stem to try that. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 567
    I think I'd go for a root cutting. The roots are the last thing to die. Google root cuttings if you want to know how.
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.