Forum home Problem solving

Help to solve this please

Hi everyone, great site. I am a novice with gardening so would appreciate some pointers.

I have recently cut back some weeds about half meter in and would like to bring this area back to life with some colour, how would I ensure that the weeds did not grow back and would I throw some grass seed down as it is? Was also thinking about maybe cutting in a border or possibly planting some wild flowers.

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,487
    Hello Norgreen ad welcome to the forum. Are you hoping to have a border with colourful flowers in or are you wanting to extend the lawn? Unless you have really dug over the land well there could still be weed roots in there. It would not really be advisable to put lawn seed down until you are certain you have removed as many weeds and their roots as possible.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • I only strimmed it back so really I am asking what to do next would I be best turning it all over or just digging out individual weeds? I want to extend the lawn about 6 inches and then have some nice colour that I don’t have to do much to if that is possible. Also would wild flowers grow in further part under the bush?
    thanks for the response.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,487
    I think that is a good idea. Turn it all over and take out the weeds as you go then you can extend the lawn the distance you want. Certain wild flowers will grow happily in the shaded area you have, but if you were wanting a bit more colour then the brighter wild flowers will need more sun to thrive. Primroses and snowdrops don't mind the shade.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • GreenbirdGreenbird Posts: 237
    Easiest no maintaince method:

Dig over
    Remove any roots of weeds
    Mulch
    Plant bulbs in the autumn 
  • Ladybird4 said:
    I think that is a good idea. Turn it all over and take out the weeds as you go then you can extend the lawn the distance you want. Certain wild flowers will grow happily in the shaded area you have, but if you were wanting a bit more colour then the brighter wild flowers will need more sun to thrive. Primroses and snowdrops don't mind the shade.

Thanks Ladybird, will I have to clear the weeds from under the bushes or will the wild flowers thrive in that enviroment. Any sugestions for a wild flower border or even a border of flowers that will give a bit of colour each year?
    Thanks
  • Greenbird said:
    Easiest no maintaince method:

Dig over
    Remove any roots of weeds
    Mulch
    Plant bulbs in the autumn 
    Hi Greenbird
    What do you mean by Mulch? and planting bulbs is that the wild flowers?
    sorry as I say, complete novice and first garden.