Forum home Problem solving

Black aucuba leaves and stems

Me again, I've had a busy week!  Can anyone tell me why Aucuba leaves suddenly turn black/brown and die off?  It seems to happen to some branches on some plants and I don't know why.  It can happen when it's been wet or dry or when the plant is young or old or when the plant is in the sun or shade so no consistent reasons as far as I can see. And I can't find a definitive answer online.  I see it in neighbours gardens and get asked about it and feel silly when I can't explain something that seems simple.  It looks like extensive frost damage but I've seen it suddenly happen in June.  Help??  Many thanks. turmeric

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,013
    There was a thread on this last year. Apparently, it's just something they do. Cut off the black branches and your plant should recover.Mine did.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 825
    Thanks B3.  It would be nice to know why though.  It seems odd that they just do it.
    Have  look at the rhs link that  posted for you in 2018
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1015446/aucuba-black-leaves
    Thanks B3.  It's nice to know that you and I are still 'talking' after so many years!  I still think though that the reason isn't set in stone.  We didn't have a cold or particularly wet winter recently but I know of two aucuba that are looking sickly.  One has the black/brown on the branch tips and looks quite bare of leaves despite being about 8 years old, in the same spot and about 5ft high and previously healthy.  That's why I'm not convinced by the RHS reason, it doesn't tie in with the weather we had and the suddenness of the problem.  Perhaps I'll have to carry on in blissful ignorance.  :)
  • ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 256
    Have had the same with an Acuba 2 years ago in our front garden, it was after that beast from the East and about the same time. Growing on a fence behind it was our Wisteria which we had trained along, so then we realised all the new buds on the Wisteria started to fall off, started to investigate found out about 'phytophthora', apparently it's in all soils. We put it down to that only our garden is North facing and partly clay in some places, so we were gutted and then dug up all the Wisteria roots, there actually wasn't many and the Acuba as well all stunted roots and black no sign of life. Do have another one in a pot it's 2 years old(Wisteria) put will be a few years before it flowers, so maybe just maybe that's what it is .
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    There are many reasons. Big swing in temperatures from night to day, grown in sunny positions and if you have heavy clay soil, they are prone to getting rot on the roots, which weakens the whole shrub over time. Not a good choice for heavy wet soils.
    I'm still hacking mine back and digging them out @turmeric. A bit of the black death would be appreciated here, but no sign of it at the moment😉
    Thanks everyone.  I'll pop a bit in the post for you B3 :D