Forum home Tools and techniques

Scarifier recommendation please

Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 729
Morning all,

Our electric scarifier has just died .... can't complain really as it was a cheap one and has lasted 20+ years.

We've a sizeable lawn so just using a tine rake isn't an option.

I'd be grateful if anyone could recommend a reliable one (or one to avoid).
Many thanks,
Bee x  

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,509
    I bought one of these on recommendation from my neighbour and I've been very pleased with it.
    Not used it in a couple of years though due to lack of rain and parched grass - and still waiting for some rain...
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0030BERK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 729
    Hi @Pete.8,

That looks ideal .... always good to hear an unbiased opinion blush

We've got the opposite problem to you ...  our grass is usually far too wet to scarify and we'd just be making it worse.

Off to place an order.

Bee x

Good luck Bee - it never ceases to amaze me how much 'stuff' comes out of the lawn
    Thanks @Pete.8,

I'm just hoping that there will be some grass left when I'm done 

Bee x
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,134
    Hi @Bee witched I wish I could recommend the electric scarifier I purchased 2 months ago and used on my lawn yesterday.
    It's the Optima 37VE by MTD: http://mtd-eu.com/index.php?id=22261
    Price similar to the Bosch AVR 1100 Verti Cutter Lawn Raker recommended by our friend @Pete.8 above.
    On the very first day of using it, one of the knobs to adjust the handle height got damaged beyond repair, and just before finishing the work one wheel fell off. :'(
    Apart from that it seems to do the job.
    Note.- For anyone reading French you can follow my adventures with that scarifier on my garden site at http://www.rezeau.org/wp-garden/fr/le-jardinier-confine-jour-33/
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    Hello @Papi Jo,

Thanks for getting in touch. Always good to have a "non-recommendation" 

Hope you can resolve the issues with yours .... sounds like you would be entitled to a replacement?

Bee x
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,134
    @Bee witched Oh no, I don't want a replacement. I'll wait until the shop where I purchased the machine to re-open (after the lock-down) and claim a repair under guarantee. For the wheel it's only a small piece (a clip-on thingy) that is missing.
    I'm afraid all electric scarifiers in that price range are rather primitive machines, not as tough as the petrol ones, which cost twice or 3 times as much.
    We'll see...
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    Hi,

Just to update .... I bought the one @Pete.8 recommended, and used it for the first time today. Really pleased with it ... lawn already looks much better.

Bee x
    Great! Glad you're pleased with it Bee.
    Now we've finally had some rain I'll get mine out in a few days.
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 376
    https://everydiy.uk/p/screwfix.com/48162/Titan-TTB428GDO-32cm-1300W-Lawn-Scarifier-230V

been using this £80 job for five years.  gets ragged around, does a good job.   i'm talking about moss mountains, builders bag after builders bag of the stuff ripped out.

I understand they all have same problem of tiny bag, fills in about 2ft distance and so you basically don't use the bag/box.    

i think the next step up is £300 petrol versions.   

advice for anyone new to these machines, you ideally want a second person raking away the moss lines you leave, so you can go over it again and again, then move onto next line....without interruption, its best having helping hand.