Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee advice

Hello, 
so I protected my musa outdoors this year,  i fleeced it and made a chicken wire cage around it and packed it with straw as you do...   and now I’ve noticed a little hole in the straw and a little bee keep flying in and out. So I think I have a little solitary bee nesting in there.

With the summer not far off, I will be uncovering my tenders in a few weeks and now I’m worried about what to do about the little bee. 

Any advice?? 

I don’t want any harm to come to the bee or musa so not sure on what approach to take! 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    I garden with a lot of wildlife. 

If I get a conflict where I need to do something that affects our 'residents' I just try to make it back up in some way.

So I would either make or buy a house for solitary bees and put it nearby (plenty of designs and choices on the internet)

Then I would remove the cage and fleece as normal for the health of the plant.

• NotyalcaNotyalca Posts: 134
    So bee update 

I decided to remove the protection off the musas today because I was too excited ( but also glad I did because they were quite soggy) 
     and as I lifted off one of the cages it all came off in one piece.  

So when it came to the one with the bee in, the whole thing lifted in one and I moved the whole thing to a safe place in the garden.  hopefully It didn’t disturb the nest. The bee was inside when I moved it and I could still hear it buzzing.  Now I’m just waiting to see if I can see the bee still using it. Hopefully it does! 
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 926
    It’s lovely that you are so considerate of your new resident, @Notyalca 😊
    Isn't it heartening when wildlife starts to move in?