Forum home Tools and techniques

Grass cuttings and brown for compost

I am certain this subject has been covered a lot but I couldn't find an answer that resolved my question, so my apologies in advance:

The bulk of my green waste in my compost is grass cuttings. My brown is largely card. My compost heap is 1m cube. 

For a 2" layer of fresh grass cuttings how much card should I add? 
Can I just layer it ( torn up and turned 1 x month) or should I mix it in as I add the grass?

Ive been watching Charles Dowding youtube vids on No Dig Gardening, and Im keen to get my compost going!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,299
    No hard and fast rules. A 2" layer of grass clippings will disappear to virtually nothing as it rots. You can add kitchen food waste, peelings etc and junk mail / newspapers too. I layer mine up with grass clippings , wood chip from a local tree surgery and horse poo from a nice neighbour. I don't mix it , but I have space to leave it to stand for a year.
    Devon.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,493
    I think it's an equal quantity of each and it is better if it is mixed together but I'm no compost expert - I leave that to others.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,299
    Fill the bin, then empty it out and decide if it's too wet ( too much grass ) , or too dry ( too much cardboard ) then adjust the proportions next time if necessary. 
    Devon.
  • SmudgeriiSmudgerii Posts: 185
    edited April 2020
    I’m composting a lot of grass clippings ( local bowling club drop them off for me ) this year, and so far I’m 80/20 approx green to brown.  I mix the browns through the clippings and water every 6” as I build the pallet bin pile, tea bags and peelings also go in, and the pile is cooking within 48hrs and quickly loses bulk.  Im turning it every other week, one benefit of grass is it’s a light job...  and starting a new bin I reckon within 6 weeks with first load being moved in bin 3 for storage.
  • mjtittlemjtittle se26 5ljPosts: 2
    Smudgerii said:
    I’m composting a lot of grass clippings ( local bowling club drop them off for me ) this year, and so far I’m 80/20 approx green to brown.  I mix the browns through the clippings and water every 6” as I build the pallet bin pile, tea bags and peelings also go in, and the pile is cooking within 48hrs and quickly loses bulk.  Im turning it every other week, one benefit of grass is it’s a light job...  and starting a new bin I reckon within 6 weeks with first load being moved in bin 3 for storage.
    This sounds like a very managable/workable plan. thank you. I will update this thread as things developed.