Forum home Plants

Flowering ground cover

K.hukeK.huke Posts: 3
I’ve got a sloping, incline patch next to a woodland, the area is shady for much of the day. I’d like to have evergreen flowering ground cover. Any suggestions please? Thanks 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    edited April 2020
    Vinca minor will do well there and heucheras might be worth a try, and there are some evergreen/semi evergreen hardy geraniums which might work:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,966
    Woodruff.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,894
    Lamium maculatum  ‘beacon silver’ or similar. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 399
    Pulmonaria?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,844
    Dry shade or damp shade?
    If it's damp, you can have Gaultheria, the prostrate one. White flowers and berries later.
    Heucheras/Tiarellas as well. Don't forget native Primulas too.  :)
    Bergenias will also cope if they have sufficient moisture, although once established, they grwo well in drier conditions too.
    London Pride [Saxifraga urbium] will grow anywhere - wet or dry. Lots of saxifrages will cope with shade too. I have a white one which grows everywhere, damp or dry.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 Posts: 958
    Pachysandra terminalis - glossy evergreen, white spring flowers
    Liriope muscari - evergreen scrappy leaves, long lasting blue flower spikes (aug to nov).
    Bergenia - lots of different ones, flowers white or pink in spring
    Epimediums - versiculor Sulphureum has dainty pale yellow flowers
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
  • Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295
    Another idea would be waldsteinia ternata. I've just bought some to use as groundcover for around some shrubs.

picture here ..
    https://www.bethchatto.co.uk/plants-for-shade-conditions/waldsteinia-ternata.htm

Bee x

Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • Ajuga is another option. Seems very popular with the bumble bees around here. Have a few varieties and think the dark purple leaved ones are the best.