Forum home Plants

Tomato seedlings

B3B3 Posts: 27,312
I have these conjoined twins. Supersweet 100 cherry tomatoes 

Can I  keep them together and put them in a large container ?
Separate them?
Murder one?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• HippophaeHippophae Posts: 154
    Just so you are aware. Both tomato plants will only reach their maximum potential if grown apart. Otherwise they will be tussling for available resources - nutrients, water, space and light. If you are okay with this then by all means keep them together. I would personally separate them and plant each into their own pots.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,312
    Thanks @Hippophae . I suppose the sooner,the better. 
  • HippophaeHippophae Posts: 154
    edited April 2020
    You’re welcome @B3 Yes much easier now before the root networks have become too established and intertwined. I don’t have a dibber tool so I just use the pointy end of a pencil ✏️ or the tines of an old kitchen fork 🍴 to gently tease the seedlings apart taking lots of care not to damage the roots or stems. The leaves are the toughest part of the seedling at this age so you are always best off holding the seedlings by their leaves while you manipulate them out of the soil in the old pot and then pot them on into their new pot. 👍 
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
     I usually put 2-3 seeds in a pot, murder the weaklings, it's just what would happen in nature. I take them out early though, soon as it is clear which one is the winner.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,811
    If they're on the wet side, it's also easier to get them apart @B3 :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,312
    I'm going to operate tomorrow😊