Forum home Plants

These plants are back :-) Any name please!

LTobyLToby Posts: 224
Last Summer, I noticed these beautiful blue flowers at the back of our wall. I did not remove them as they look pretty with their leggy stems and slim foliage, plus their blue flowers ... they disappeared in Autumn. Now they are back ... any idea of the name? Thanks again in advanced. Images are below... TY

Aberdeenshire, Scotland

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,966
    Linaria purpurea.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • LTobyLToby Posts: 224
    punkdoc, thank you very much for sharing the name. thank you very much. I will surely keep them as they are perennials too.
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • micearguersmicearguers Posts: 637
    They will, in the right aspect, self-seed like mad and become big plants too. But they can be kept under control fairly easily. I'm still pulling up seedlings nearly every day though, it was a roaring success in my garden.
    Thanks for the additional insights, micearguers! 

I incorporated two youngplants in a multi-plant pot, and they are doing very well ... :-)
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • micearguersmicearguers Posts: 637
    Forgot to mention, they are absolutely fantastic for pollinators. In our case we inherited a slightly neglected garden where the linaria had gone a bit rampant. It seems to cohabitate a bit better in the dryer south-facing garden; in the somewhat shadier north-facing garden it tended to grow out of proportion. Still a fantastic plant.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,327
    You can prune them to get a bushier plant too. Cut off the old tatty leaves and the ones that lie on the ground and this will rejuvenate the plant as well.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    micearguers and B3 - thank you very much. 
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • FireFire Posts: 18,973
    I grow them from seed. They are excellent for bees, as mentioned, and are one of the only plants my ninja slugs won't  touch. Apparently linaria have some purposely foul taste to dissuade molluscs. They come in glorious colours. They are mini-snapdragons.
    Fire, thank you for sharing your experience. it is a keeper. 
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland