Forum home Plants

Unhappy jasmines

I planted my jasmines last autumn and they seemed happy over the winter. A few weeks ago I started noticing dark spots. Just in case it was black spot I tried a solution of water, bicarbonate of soda and washing
liquid, also tried a black spot/aphid/rust spray and cut off the affected leaves/stems. But now one jasmine in particular looks bad. Lots of red leaves and not much new growth. The other two are doing better but not by much. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    Could just be at this time of year, the temperatures can swing from hot to cold and with wind thrown in. Some evergreen plants can shed their winter leaves and others turn bronze to red due to stress. Keep on top of watering when it is warm and even when it is windy.

One of your plant seems to be planted very close to a wall, which can mean, it will need additional help with watering over the year, especially in the summer months. Apart from that, it looks quite well to me. Leaf spots can form when plants are stressed, but not likely going to cause long-term damage provided you give your plant the correct care.
  • Thanks. I watered them and fed them and then left them and the leaves all turned red and dropped and look awful, then they suddenly got lots of new grown and are doing fantastic. 
    I guess they just shed the old leaves ready for the new but when I looked up the plant and how to care for it I didn’t see anything anywhere about the fact they do this!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,891
    They're not all reliably hardy, depending where you are in the country.
    Extremes of temperature can make a huge difference in their growth and ability to thrive, as @Borderline has said. 
    Looks fine now though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...