Forum home Fruit & veg

Courgettes

Kat1989Kat1989 OxfordshirePosts: 51
Hello all im new to growing courgettes, I know there not meant to be outside just yet but they were getting rather big for the small pots I had. They seem rather long stemmed ?? Do these look OK ?? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,877
    I've not sown mine yet. have some fleece or even newspaper to put over them at night.  They look like a trailing variety, they are going to send out long shoots. Some form more of a rosette  of leaves, much more compact and suitable for containers.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 379
    You might want to plant them a bit deeper or add soil up to the seed leaves (the small oval shaped ones at the bottom.
  • Kat1989Kat1989 OxfordshirePosts: 51
    Ok I will fleece them tonight and I've got a cold frame so will put them into that. Will top them up with soil too thanks @Skylarks and @fidgetbones They are astia f1 variety. 
  • Kat1989Kat1989 OxfordshirePosts: 51
    If we get a sudden blast of frost then I've got time to plant some more fingers crossed 
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,261
    I am also thinking of growing in containers. I havent yet sowed. Can I directly sow seeds in final container outside. I live in London zone and can protect seedlings if frost comes.
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 285
    I have managed to grow a few of the round type from seed (bought the seeds at Lidl) in a big pot in London, but I only got a handful of courgettes off the plants. I think my pots were too small and I didn't feed them much so that may have been the problem. But it is certainly possible. 
  • I've grown courgette seeds and they are now about 3inch.  Is it too early to put them in a plastic greenhouse?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,513
    edited April 2020
    Not yet!!! Mine won’t be in the mini greenhouse overnight until night time temps are reliably 10+C
    but I’ll soon start putting them in there during the day and bringing them back in and overnighting them on the dining table. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh