Forum home Plants

Are these weeds?!

polbpolb Posts: 198
Hi, I planted up a small area of the garden with plants that like boggy soil. I planted fully grown plants last year and I'm looking forward to see how they all do this year...however! As things are starting to come up...I'm a bit worried about weeding the area, that I will pull up a plant or two  :| I am fairly sure that the first one here is a weed..am I right?

Does anyone know if the second one is a weed? The second is doing really well!  Looking at this photo I'm referring to the one on the right and back (one line down the leaf)

This third one is in a different part of the garden but has come up and doing well..good for ground cover but is it a weed?!

Does anyone know a good resource for finding out about weeds? I feel like it would be good for me to be able to recognise them so I pull up the right things!

Thanks, everyone!

• That first one is my most common weed; I'd love to know what it's called. 
    Is the second one plantain? 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877
    willow herb and I think the second one might be mimulus. My pond area was plagued with it when we moved here.
    Devon.
  • polbpolb Posts: 198
    Thanks both, I've googled your suggestions and the photos that come up look different. Willow herb is not as glossy but then maybe there are variations?! I have willow herb in other parts of the garden and it looks different. I think I will pull this up though if its your most common weed Barbara!

The other two (2nd and 3rd) I'm really unsure and don't want to pull them up if they are not weeds.. do I sit and wait and see if they do something?! At the risk they will take over!! :D

Thank you for your replies :)
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    The top two photos with the plants with red tinges on leaves and stalks are definitely Willow Herb, a weed I get rid of instantly I see it. It’s disastrous if you grow fuchsias. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks Lyn, so can willow herb look quite different then as 1 and 2 really do look different, the 2nd (right in picture) is shorter, duller leaves and has spread more?
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,340
    Willowherb comes in many guises😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    :o Didn't know that! Thanks all, I know what I'm doing this afternoon!! ;)

Any thoughts about the third? I'm wondering if this isn't a weed, can't find it on weed info online.. hmmm
  • AsarumAsarum Posts: 658
    I agree about Mimulus for the last one.
    East Anglia
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    Wikipedia lists almost 200 species of willowherb!
    Ah ok so you think the last (3rd one) is mimulus..does this have a tall yellow flower? I remember I have a lovely yellow flowering plant there last year. I presume then that this is not a weed (the 3rd one)?

Thanks Josusa47... :o Amazing!!!:open_mouth:

Thank you everyone your expertise is a huge help :)