Forum home Plants

Cordyline Plant

bridgybridgy Posts: 2
Good morning, I am far from green fingered and only have three plants in my garden. Two codyline and a small palm. One cordyline is growing well, we have had both for 2 years. The other has brown spots on the leaves, not very sturdy in the ground and now has something growing up through the middle which doesn't look great Any ideas, suggestions would be brilliant

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,811
    That'll be the flower spike. 
    I'd remove some of those tatty leaves. It will improve it aesthetically, and it saves the plant having to work harder to retain the moisture it has for the bulk of the main canopy.
    Does it ever get watered? Although they like sunny sites and good drainage, they still need some moisture. Mild winters and dry springs will encourage earlier flowering, but it also depends whereabouts you are.
    I'm not sure having a football goal right next to it is a good idea - especially when they miss  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • bridgybridgy Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply.The goal is there for me to mow the lawn! I will put it back soon, ha ha. So the middle growth is fine and the plant should be ok? I'm not worried about it aesthetically at the moment, just want it to grow and be healthy. Thanks again
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,811
    It'll be fine. Just keep an eye on it if looks a bit limp and sad. If the soil is free draining, it'll dry out quite quickly too, so it may need a wee canful of water every few days unless you get some persistent enough rain. You could try and firm it in a little bit too.
    If the ground is heavy and soggy however, the signs on foliage can also be the same, so it's worth taking a look at the soil nearby by just clearing the mulch and poking a finger in. 

Removing old/damaged leaves helps the general health of the plant - so it's worth doing. They naturally shed lower leaves too - to form a main trunk, hence their common name - Cabbage Palm. 
    If you don't feed or do anything to the soil, and I'm guessing not, judging by the mulch etc round it,  it's worth looking at a liquid feed of something like seaweed for it now and again. It's ideal for foliage plants, which they really are most of the time.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...