Forum home Plants

Lupin leaf blackening

Hi,

Recently grown some Lupins from seed bad just started planting them out. Some have done quite well but at least half have started darkening/turning black and stopped growing. There is a mixture of them planted into beds or pots. Any suggestions what this might be to prevent it in future? Images are of a healthy plant and the dark ones.

Thanks in advance.

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,504
    Looks like the lupins are outside , fluctuating temperatures can cause leaves to change colour.

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,463
    I agree, cooler temps, partcularly if they've recently been moved from indoors. 
    Also, be careful not to overwater such tiny plants in big pots.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Thanks both. Are they still salvageable?
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,463
    I think so.  I certainly wouldn't throw them out yet. Lupins are hardy but these are babies and look as if they've had a shock to the system.  If you can, put them in a sheltered place (eg near a house wall) and see what happens. If you have frost forecast you could cover them overnight for a bit of extra protection and remove in the morning when it warms up (horticultural fleece is ideal but if you don't have any, old net curtains or even sheets of newspaper if it's not windy will do).
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 752
    Totally irrelevant to your post but these baby lupins look SO cute!! I bought mine as plug plants this year (growing Lupin the first time) so I’ve never seen them in baby form. Adorable!