Forum home Problem solving

How to dispose of stagnant water

PuzzledMonkeyPuzzledMonkey Staffordshire Posts: 3
Hi, this is my first post here so please bear with me :) Last year my in-laws did some tidying in our garden, which was much appreciated, but they scooped up some toys and ornaments into a plastic tub, which they left near the shed at the bottom of the garden. I’m keen to sort out that area, as it’s a bit of a mess, but the tub is now full of horrid stagnant water (safe to say the toys are ruined!) and I don’t know how to safely dispose of it - could I just tip it onto the grass, or is that dangerous? It’s a good-sized tub (one of those deep ikea things) so there’s a fair bit of water in it - I think I’ll struggle to life it, to be honest, without spilling it. My son’s playing in the garden a lot at the moment, due to the lockdown, so I’m concerned for his health if he comes into contact with the water, more than what it might do the garden! So, what’s the safest way to get rid of it? Thank you!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    Pour it out and clean the tub.   The water will soak into the ground and any smell will disperse.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,547
    I agree with Obelixx, it's not harmful, just a bit smelly and horrid. Ladle it out onto the grass until you can tilt it onto one side and empty the rest out. The grass will be grateful for the drink in this hot weather. If the toys/ornaments are plastic, they can be safely washed/scrubbed in hot soapy water and they will be fine when dry.   Clean the tub out with some hot soapy water and leave to dry. Try not to worry so much!
  • PuzzledMonkeyPuzzledMonkey Staffordshire Posts: 3
    Thank you both, that’s really helpful! It was my mother-in-law who made me think it would be harmful, she’s a bit of a worrier as well so together we’re doomed! But definitely a relief to know I can just top it away - thanks for your help!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,547
    No problem, glad to help.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,475
    edited April 2020
    A lot of toys can go through a dishwasher on the top rack.  Failing that a soak in milton will do it.
  • PuzzledMonkeyPuzzledMonkey Staffordshire Posts: 3
    Funnily enough we put a haul of second-hand lego through a wash a few weeks ago, but it hadn’t occurred to me to do the same with the garden toys! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    edited April 2020
    Feeling anxious causes brain fog ... I remember it well from when I was a new mum ... it’ll get better 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh