Forum home Problem solving

A tricky little Broom...

Evening all, 

Last year (probably Jan ish) I was delving in the "bargin bucket" of my local garden centre and found a super crispy Broom with an otherwise lovely shape. I had been looking for a willing victim to eventually bully into a bonsai where possible, and this one came right really nicely with a bit of TLC so thought I was onto a winner. 

This is its 2nd Spring with me now and it always seems to do really well until flowering time, which is when it descends into its previous crispy alter ego, the flowers fail and it takes a good month to bounce back again. Its so annoying as its otherwise in full vigor for the rest of the year and loves the sun. I keep it well watered and in a sunny position. It spent the winter tucked behind the shed under cover to keep off the worst of the frosts and has been happily growing away until now. 

I know we have had some toasty weather and its in a small pot but I had thought I had kept it well watered with this in mind. The photos are a bit rubbish admittedly, but we have some leaf yellowing/ crispy leaves. Should I have fed it? Any other ideas?  

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    It won't be happy in that pot.
    Needs to be in the ground. Water and decent drainage, in a sunny spot, although they can take a bit of shade too.
    Broom is tough - it doesn't need frost protection either.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....