Forum home Problem solving

Should I Purchase a Greenhouse?

Is it worth buying a small greenhouse if it is not heated? I live in Ohio and it can get in the negative degrees (Fahrenheit) in winter. We will have lows this week (April15,2020) in the 20's (Fahrenheit) and we have many temperatures below freezing. If I don't have a heated greenhouse when can I use it to put seedlings and tender plants out? My windowsills are crowded and there is only so much light that I can get to the plants anyways. Any ideas or information? I really want a small greenhouse but I am not sure if it will get used for what I need it most for (seedlings/tender plants like canna and dahlias).
Thanks!

• Sorry, I forgot to add that our last chance for frost is usually the middle of May.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,253
    I think you'd better abandon the idea unless other gardeners in your area know of a system?  Any greenhouse will descend to pretty close to the outside temperature unless heated to at least 1 degree.  One of the down sides is that they have four thin outside walls through which heat can escape if you get any during the day.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,308
    It sounds to me that you'd be better off to set up an area in your house with some grow lights and decongest your window sills. Heating a greenhouse to keep plants going is a terrible environmental waste and you're fighting against the conditions of your area which will not get you anywhere in the long term. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Thanks! How do others do it? Or do you only use a greenhouse in the summer when it is warmer? I am new to this so I am not quite sure...
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,461
    I use heated mats in the greenhouse to put pots and seed trays on, also heated propagators. But must have an electric supply. When the seedlings have grown and been planted I grow tomatoes in the greenhouse.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 331
    edited April 2020
    efrankart said:
    Thanks! How do others do it? Or do you only use a greenhouse in the summer when it is warmer? I am new to this so I am not quite sure...
    Everyone has different methods. I've seen double insulated plant covers made out of bubble wrap that did well but as has been mentioned they don't keep heat in for long, just a few hours longer.

So your option is to use the free sun and heat your plants which is expensive.

Or you can use your free house heat and light them with LED lights which have become very energy efficient.

Led lights work out far cheaper than trying to heat a greenhouse. So as long as you have the space, I am pretty sure most start their seedling under an artificial light indoors.