Forum home Problem solving

Help getting rid of constant weed growth

Hello everyone, 

about 5 or 6 years ago I started getting the below weed growing underneath a row of conifers we had. I removed these conifers last year and dug the ground through. I’ve since levelled out the area and seeded in as a lawn. The grass is just coming through and so is the weed too. I’ve tried round up on it over the years but it doesn’t seem to remove it. Any ideas what it is and how I can stop it growing. Thank you

• PS if I leave it the leafs get to around 8 inches. Thank you
  • Plot75Plot75 SurreyPosts: 69
    Do you just take off the tips? 
    Mix 2tbsp of white,granulated sugar with 1tbsp of water and place on a spoon for a Bee to reach. Sometimes they're too exhausted to reach back to the hives when it's hot and dry. 
  • Hi, 

thanks for your reply. 

I can’t get down low enough to get it all out. In the past when I’ve really dug down there’s a twiggy root that it’s shooting from but the twiggy root is all over the place. 
  • My thumb is at about ground level. It’s quite weak so snaps easily 😢
  • Plot75Plot75 SurreyPosts: 69
    Unfortunately the only way to get rid is to pull the whole root system out as even a cm of root left will regrow. 
    Mix 2tbsp of white,granulated sugar with 1tbsp of water and place on a spoon for a Bee to reach. Sometimes they're too exhausted to reach back to the hives when it's hot and dry. 
  • Thank you for your reply again. Do you know what it is so I can look it up. Thanks. 
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 727
    I think it's called Coltsfoot that's it's common name in the NE

• That’s it thank you so much. I’ve literally spent weeks trying to find its name online. 

Any chemicals that can get rid of it. It’s roots are under a newly seeded lawn. It’s also growing within 15 newly planted clematis 😢
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976
    It's a good candidate for applying glyphosate to the leaves with a brush. Surest way of getting rid of it. Careful not to drip onto the lawn, maybe use a bit of cardboard as a shield. 
  • Absolutely fantastic. A massive thank you to you all. Will order some now 👍