Forum home Problem solving

Cedar tree, problem with shedding cones...

Moved in to new house in December and learning, as the seasons change, how to cope with a the large garden and an expanse of lawn.  We have a huge cedar tree and it seems the cones shed and break up whilst still up in the tree.  Much of the lawn is liberally sprinkled with the large flakes/wings from these cones, which are almost unrakeable and it's really too large an area for me to manually cope with anyway.  Can anyone tell me if a leaf-blower would be strong enough?  Or maybe a vacuum of some sort.  I don't want to buy a cheap one to find it doesn't work, but don't want to buy an expensive one that also might not work!  Some of these wings are nestled quite well down in the grass  Obviously, the gardener hasn't been for a few weeks, given the lockdown, so the grass is longer than usual.  I really don't want to kill my lawn, and this is a huge problem.  Thank you for any advice. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,240
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    Can you not just mow them and pick them up with your grass collector?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • CarriMCarriM Posts: 2
    Pathetic, I know, but I don't have a mower.  But it probably does get picked up and mulched when mowed.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    Who mows it then?  Or you planning a hay meadow in which case the cones will soon disappear from view but may also make baby trees?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw