Forum home Problem solving

what mix to plant seedlings in

I have soil conditioner and mushroom compost but no multi purpose compost  - what proportion of each should I use for my seedlings instead of compost 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,601
    Hi, the soil conditioner might be too strong for young seedlings. If it is spent mushroom compost, that is probably better, but it can have high levels of salt in it, I understand, which can also damage seedlings. It is also normally used as a soil conditioner or garden mulch. So I’m not sure if either are ideal! Do you have any ordinary garden soil? Is there no way you can order any MPC from a local garden centre near you? Many are doing deliveries now, as they are closed to visitors.
  • Alison73Alison73 Posts: 3
    Hi Nollie

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  the mushroom compost is indeed spent - don't have any spare soil but might see what not-quite-ready oak leaf compost is available to mix in 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,601
    I have oak leaf mould too, similarly not quite rotted and was considering whizzing it up in the magi-mix to break it down, ‘til I managed to get hold of some MPC. That will certainly help dilute the other stuff. Good luck!