Forum home Problem solving

Lawn trouble

My lawn is on its last legs. During the winter it sprouts lush (looking!) growth in a large swaythe and then when the warmer weather comes, it dies in the same place. I lifted a square to see if I could find out what's going on and this is what I found.  There is obvious compaction of the clay soil but what is the grey matter?  I suspect it is the mycelium of the yellow staining mushrooms that grow in the lawn. 
Is it beyond salvation?

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think...

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    edited April 2020
    Hi
    Not too sure what the yellow straining is but imo I wouldn’t be that worried. If it is mushroom then they require a normally constant damp area to survive and a bit of shade as well 
    As for the clay soil, if it’s a smallish area, then my thoughts would be to dig the rest of the effected area up, rebuild it up with good top soil and grit, compounded it down with your feet, rake it level with the existing lawn then seed or re-turf. 

• padmeisterpadmeister StaffordshirePosts: 19
    Hi

To me it looks very like a fairy ring.  The fungi produce nitrogen so the centre section dies but the outside edge looks lush and green.

It is a bit radical but what Stevedaylilly suggest is how I got rid of one from my lawn. Dig out the infected turf to a spade's depth and replace with good top soil. It helped that we had a skip for some building work at the time!

You would think a fungicide would help but apparently they can't penetrate deep enough into the turf.
  • Thanks Stevedaylilly and padmeister.  Our soil is largely clay, we are in Maidenhead in the Thames Valley south of the Chilterns and so I think the whole lot really needs lifting but at around 100 sqm that's a lot of work, skips, topsoil and of course cost!
    I might have to live with it until post-apocalypse Britain emerges.
    Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think...