Forum home Plants

Climbing Plant Recommendations Please

I’m looking for a shade loving climbing plant that can be pot grown and will grow to 4 or 5 Mtrs - ideally evergreen, long flowering through the summer months and fairly fast growing.

I’m looking for a climber to plant in the passage space between my house and my neighbours house, to train vertically up a brick column gate post on wires and horizontally on wires between the two houses.

The passage only gets limited direct sunlight, early morning between 8am and 11am and some early evening indirect sunlight from the back garden after the sun has worked its way around the house.

Any recommendations please, photos attached .....    

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    You will seriously struggle to get any flowering climber to grow to that size from that small container;  Climbers in general need to be planted in the ground, or containers of about 50x50cm or larger.  You could try a pruning group 3 clematis (most clematis are happy in some shade) which are cut back to about 30cm from the ground in February and then grow rapidly, flowering in late July or thereabouts.  You would have to water it every day (maybe more in hot weather) and feed it with liquid feed once a week for it to have any chance of thriving.
    Alternatively, you could forget about flowers and grow an ivy (there are many decorative types) which would tolerate the small container (if kept sufficiently watered) can tolerate shade and are evergreen.
    Whatever you do, it isn't going to be a case of plant and forget - constant attention to watering and feeding will be necessary.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    Trachelospermum would probably work to cover that brick pillar and the wires across. It's not THAT fast growing but is evergreen. I would plant direct into the ground, if that gravel strip between the concrete pads can be dug out. Recommend planting a small one and being patient - I've planted three in my garden and the smallest one has established better than the big ones.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".