Forum home Problem solving

What’s Wrong with my Banana Plant?

Hi all, hope your all keeping safe. 

I’ve had this little banana plant for about a year now. It’s always done so well so I’m really surprised that it’s taken a turn for the worst. I’m not even sure how to explain what’s happening. It’s not getting too much water and it’s in the same spot it’s always been, the new leaves have been coming through nicely, I noticed that they were quite small leaves but didn’t think much of it..
I love this little plant and want to save it if I can. Please help me!

I’m not an avid gardener, but I’ve done everything I was told to do with this little plant. What do I need to do? 😥😔

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,410
    That looks like frost damage, has it been outside or in a very cold window ? Have you tipped it out to look at the roots ? over watering would rot them away, however I'm not sure the pot is big enough bananas are really hungry plants using lots of water and feed to grow very fast.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Are you sure the plant isn't getting too much water?  The pot appears to be inside a larger container so any excess water will pool at the bottom and it won't like that one little bit, leading to root rot.  The drainage hole in the inner pot could also have become blocked, leading to the same outcome.  The reason I say this is that the blackening of both leaves and stem is typical of a plant with roots sitting in water.
    I don't give it much hope of recovery but I think you need to investigate by tipping it out of the pot and inspecting the roots.  If there are healthy white roots then re-pot it into fresh, gritty compost.  The base of the stem should also be hard when you squeeze it between finger and thumb.  Any softness indicates it is rotting.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.