Forum home Plants

when to uncover seeds?

owd potterowd potter Posts: 968
My trays of  seeds have partially germinated, in that a handful of seedlings are now above the compost showing the 2 seed leaves only. Rudbeckia say approx 10% and Gaura approx 40% at a guess. 
Presumably there will be others to follow.
They are in my unheated potting shed still under the propagator tops, which begs the question re timing of removal of these tops?
Should this be now, immediately the seeds break cover, or should I wait until more seeds germinate? 

Just another day at the plant...

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,739
    I remove lids when there's a good amount of green about 50%. It can be difficult when some come through more quickly, but you can put the lid on at night until there's a majority germinated. The ones not covered will just be a bit slower, but they'll happen  :)

Make sure you rotate the trays enough too, as seeds will appreciate the light. Some will be getting more than others.  :
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 968
    Morning @Fairygirl many thanks for your rapid response.
    I am a bit surprised how tricky it has been getting the Rudbeckia in particular to germinate, this is the 2nd year trying them and they have taken 5 weeks to show themselves in very limited numbers as yet, sowed on 7 Mar.
    Presumably terrible consequences would follow leaving the prop tops on them too long?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,739
    It's about timing - as with many things. Leaving the lids on creates moisture,and then seedlings get too wet and rot. 
    I think you've probably sown too early. I don't sow much before about now.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ValleysgirlValleysgirl Posts: 331
    I sowed Rudbeckia Chim Chiminee along with Coreopsis Golden Globe 1/2 and 1/2 tray about 3 weeks ago and only had about 1/4 come through and 1/2 my Coreopsis, still not too bad and I did hope for more . It's trial and error sometimes.
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 968