Forum home Problem solving

Clematis

Why is my clematis growing 1 stem and a few branches above 3ft to 5ft. It is in a west facing border in bud at present, Large white flowers(?name)How can I encourage more branches lower down. It has been in that position for 3years, this the 3rd year. Any advice would be useful. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    It depends on what type of clematis it is.  Do you have any photos of it in flower?
    In general, the only way to get flowers lower down is to cut it back to the ground one winter and then, if it comes back, to prune and train it correctly to keep flowering stems lower.  How you do that depends on the clematis type.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DorcascentsDorcascents Posts: 132
    I will check the name  tomorrow or at least a photo and get back to you. Thank you Stay safe , stay it the garden

Hi Bob The Gardener i have added a photo above of  the   clematis in question.Sadly the name card has disappeared. Hope the photo is of some help.Thank you
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    It's one of the early large-flowered hybrids by the look of it.  That means it's a group 2 for pruning which means you tidy it up and keep it within bounds after the first flush of flowers finishes then give it a good feed and it should flower again in late summer/early autumn.  

However, you can also treat it as a group 3 to re-invigorate it and that means pruning it down low in March/early April, giving it a generous feed, a good drink and some mulch and then it will grow a whole load of new stems you can tie in lower down so the stems are horizontal or diagonal.  This will increase the number of flowers all along the stems and they will flower for one longer period over summer.

The following year you can then go back to treating it as a group 2 if you prefer.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Fully agree with Obelixx's advice, very well explained.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Thank you Bob The Gardener and Obelisk, It has a couple of buds at the moment, if I prune it back as you say now will it prevent it flowering this season?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    You could risk pruning it back now but make sure you feed it well and also give it a  good drink as they do get thirsty.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thank you, will do, but will wait until this frosty nights have passed. I will let you know how it goes