Forum home Problem solving

Creating a patio on uneven ground

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some advice on the best solution when building a patio area on a slope which runs away from the house.

The area which I’m going to be installing the patio slopes off in more than one direction so it’s a little tricky.
The area is approximately 7 x 3 metres.

I could use sleepers to create a border and then pave within that area which would save on a fair bit of digging out as I would put the aggregate, etc on top of the grass.
However, I don’t really want to use sleepers as I would like to stay away from wood but like the idea of less digging out.

My current view is it would be best to use the level of the existing patio (to be removed and replaced with new as part of this project) and somehow build up the area where it is lowest, furthest end from the house (5 inches at one end and 7 at the other)
What would be the best way to do this?
Would I need to build a wall all the way along?

Ive attached some photos which show the area marked out with string so the area levels and area are accurate.

Really appreciate any advice.

Regards,
Brad

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    Hi @bradgoose - it's barely a slope, so it would only need a small retaining wall  :)
    That can be brick, block or whatever your budget allows for.
    An easy way of then linking it with your grass, is a broad section forming a simple step down to the lawn [which can be wherever you want it]  and a border for planting. That can be as simple as you want too  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi @Fairygirl

Thanks for your reply, I like the idea of an opening to meet the grass...I would have taken the wall straight to the end so I’m pleased I asked.

I’ve not created a paved patio area before so am not sure about the process of actually doing it - I’ve trawled through a lot of YouTube videos but they all deal with flat land.
    Am I correct in thinking that the deep end away from the house would need to be dug out less or hardly at all as it’s about 5 inches below the current patio level - or would I need to dig out another 6 inches below that 5 inch dip therefore using a lot more aggregate?

Also, would I dig a trench first (width of a spade) where the wall would go or would I dig the lot out and then build a wall?

Thanks again

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    edited April 2020
    You want a little slope away from the house if it is a solid patio that water cannot drain through. Dead level and it will have pools of water which would have bad affects on the house brick work. The important things are, slope away from the house, minimum 1:60, so drop 1 cm every 60 cm and also make sure the stones are 150 mm below the damp course where they butt up against the house.
  • How much digging out depends on what your on, if below the grass is a solid base your good. But you don’t want to be putting hardcore straight onto a dodgy/soft base or it will just sink! 

Key to a good patio is the prep work. Actually laying the slabs is the easy fun bit imo!