Forum home Problem solving

New Annabelle Hydrangea leaves starting to yellow

Bought quite a big (10l) Annabelle Hydrangea online about a month ago and potted it in a big pot before moving it to its final place. All started well, leafing out really nicely but the last couple of days i've noticed a few leaves have started to yellow from the outside of the leaf. These are new leaves and seem to be in random places (a few at the top, a few lower down).

I've tried to find out online what it could be, but i've seen quite a few different things. One said it could be over watered, one said it could be underwatered, one said too much sun, one said too little sun and one said it could be iron deficiency.

Just wondered if anyone here had any idea and suggestions? I'd say only 5 or 6 leaves are turning yellow but obviously if i'm doing something wrong i'd rather correct it now before all of the leaves turn yellow.

Thanks for taking the time to read :smile:

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Any hydrangea that is grown to that extend it has been forced in a warm greenhouse. So they get a shock when exposed to outdoor conditions. Annabelle is a really large variety that will only ever be truly happy in the ground. Hope your pot is big enough, but unfortunately not a variety I'd try to grow in a pot, plus there are many more modern cultivars that have stronger stems nowadays.

It would do it no harm to be in a large pot for a couple of seasons. They love consistent moisture and a semi shaded location. Be patient and don't be too alarmed by the fee yellow leaves, it should adjust to the conditions quickly enough.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • mrleelee1mrleelee1 Posts: 23
    Thank you for your reply. It's in a pretty big pot but the idea was always to have it in the pot for a month or two and then plant in the ground when we've sorted the area out where it's going. Do you think it would be better to leave in the pot for longer or should I move it into the ground as soon as possible?
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    I'd let it settle...just make sure it's kept away from strong sunlight and moist. There's no point in taking it out of a pot and into the ground now. In the ground it will romp away but will surely flower well in a pot with lots of fresh compost. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • mrleelee1mrleelee1 Posts: 23
    Thank you very much for putting my mind at ease!