Forum home Plants

Help with ID please

Julia1983Julia1983 Posts: 139
Could someone ID these two for me?  In the first pic the reddish colour plant, in the second the taller one growing amongst the wild geranium.  Thanks 🙂

• The first one looks like a Sycamore seedling. 
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Agree - sycamore sapling (dig out if you don't want a potentially 100ft tree there!)
    Second photo shows Herb Robert and the long-leaved ones are a kind of willowherb - both weeds (although the wild geranium can be pretty and is easily pulled-up if you don't like it (or the smell.))
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Julia1983Julia1983 Posts: 139
    Thanks, the sycamore needs to go I think, its right next to the house  :D  is the willowherb likely to be problematic do you think?  It's an area I'm planning to leave to nature really but don't want something that'll completely take over 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    edited April 2020
    If the willowherb is allowed to seed, it will blow all over your garden and they will pop-up everywhere (they especially seem to like my pots!)  You could wait to see if it is one which produces nice flowers but many have rather insignificant flowers.  They are a food plant for several moths, so if you don't mind constantly weeding them out from other areas, it would be good to keep a few (and a long way away!) :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Julia1983Julia1983 Posts: 139
    Thanks, I'll keep a few in that little area and see what happens  :)