Forum home Problem solving

plant (Cotonilla glauca) not looking well

I recently moved this plant to a south facing border in clay soil and it was looking really healthy. I had to move it as we were replacing a fence so I moved it to it’s “ideal position”, it looked healthy for the first week, but all of a sudden the leaves are yellowing. I wondered if it was getting cooked, but then as it’s a Mediterranean plant thought it should be ok? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,314
    It's looking " stressed" following the move.
     Now the weather has warmed up it's more stressed.
     I'd cut it back pretty hard until it settles. 
    Devon.
  • emma688emma688 Posts: 13
    Thanks for the feedback! That makes complete sense! How hard would you cut it? Would you go through the main wood stalk? 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    edited April 2020
    These plants don't grow that fast, but looking at the shape, it would benefit from having at least half taken off. Unless you are thinking of trying to train it to a wall etc. By cutting back, the shrub should grow more bushier and more denser in the sun.

If it was planted somewhere that was semi-shady, it needs time to adjust to the full sun. It has also been quite warm, so you will need to water liberally every day until it cools down. Also continue to water at the base for the next few months. As long as the clay-base soil has been worked over to make it more free draining, it should be fine.

Any planting of shrubs needs some time to settle in. Even if they are mediterranean plants. This plant is a woody shrub of some size. Also, it is also normal for leaves to drop off. When recovered, new leaves should form again. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,706
    And don't forget to water it! It looks quite close to a wall so it might be in a rain shadow (if you get any rain).