Forum home Problem solving

Help please. I think our conifer hedge may be dying?

We had our conifer hedge cut recently.  They look awfully brown in patches and when you look inside they look like they are dying. Can they recover at all? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    Looks like they’ve been cut back too far. You won’t get any regrowth from the brown areas. The green areas may eventually cover up the exposed dead wood but more likely you’ll be stuck with this. They shouldn’t deteriorate but they also probably won’t improve much unfortunately. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062
    edited April 2020
    Is it Leylandii or is it Thuja ... colour looks a bit like the latter to me ... if so you may be lucky and it’ll green up ...

https://www.hedginguk.com/thuja-hedging-conifers/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• netsternetster Posts: 7
    Thank you for your comments. I think they are conifers? I hope they do green up, but if they don't and stay like this, then we can live with it I guess.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062
    edited April 2020
    leylandii and thuja are both conifers ... there’s all sorts ... Christmas trees and Scots pine too. . 

Fingers crossed 🤞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,889
    I think you might be ok - my neighbour often takes her back a bit too far, looking like yours, and the growth comes from slightly further in and covers it. Hers is a thuja though, and they are easier to deal with than leyland cypress.
    I'm not sure yours is Thuja - but fingers crossed. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

leylandii and thuja are both conifers ... there’s all sorts ... Christmas trees and Scots pine too. . 

Fingers crossed 🤞 
    That shows my ignorance. I'm rubbish. Haven't a clue when it comes to gardening unfortunately. Thank you for enlightening me. 
    Fairygirl said:
    I think you might be ok - my neighbour often takes her back a bit too far, looking like yours, and the growth comes from slightly further in and covers it. Hers is a thuja though, and they are easier to deal with than leyland cypress.
    I'm not sure yours is Thuja - but fingers crossed. 
    I'm hoping that may be the case here. Thank you. This has given me some hope. :-)