Forum home Plants

Poinsettia Misery

stephenpiccistephenpicci Posts: 3
edited April 2020 in Plants
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, so a big hello to everyone. I spent most of my life in a very urban area in an apartment without a balcony and I am a total novice in plant/garden maintenance, so please forgive my ignorance! Now that I bought a new place I am quite enthusiastic at trying to grow some plants and seeing my balcony flower.

Last Christmas I got a poinsettia plant which was already struggling and despite my watering, by February most of its stem fell apart and broke off which left one main stem in a sorry state. Recently, in the last few weeks, I've been seeing some growth in the same pot but honestly I'm really not sure if this is the actual poinsettia or some weed creeping in. I've been researching all possible weed types but I couldn't figure out which one it was. I was wondering if you could kindly help me identify it and whether there is any way I can salvage something from this plant? Thanks so much

• Yep...just a weed. Poinsettias are really not suitable for home cultivation in my experience. They are treated like disposable plants for Christmas. The RHS has some advice on your next one, though: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=146 
    Welcome to the forum and stay around 😉

To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Thank you - really helpful! I’ll throw it away and pot something else then. And yes thanks I will definitely stay - I have plenty more questions and lots of things I still need to learn! 
  • I am living in Malta right now but as soon as I got it and laid it out on the balcony it started losing its shape. Winters here are relatively mild but it can get rather chilly. If it had weeds growing underneath I guess that wasn’t very helpful either!