Forum home Problem solving

tete a tete disaster!

hi - I bought 100 tete a tete bulbs from a reputable supplier last November - and planted them in various locations - border, pots and in the shed to force on

well, from the 100 bulbs I got the grand total of 2 flowers! there was a lot of foliage, which looks healthy,  but not much else!

the bulbs looked decent before planting. there were a few weak looking one's - which I disposed of.

so - the question is - have I just been unlucky and bought a bad batch? and therefore, just bin them - or are they likely to come back stronger next year?

thanks! relative newbie here, so any advice more than welcome!

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,288
    How deep did you plant them ?
  • the bulbs were a couple inches in border/pots, but planted them with 1/3 above soil in pots for forcing on
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,030
    edited April 2020
    That's been the problem. Not deep enough.
    Some smaller bulbs will also take a while to build up enough for flowering.
    I see you also put some in a shed. They wouldn't have had any light either. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    That's been the problem. Not deep enough.
    Some smaller bulbs will also take a while to build up enough for flowering.
    I see you also put some in a shed. They wouldn't have had any light either. 
    ok. does that mean they will come back next year? re the shed thing - I was trying to force them on. they came out after around 8 weeks 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    You can’t force those daffodils, they should come back next year if you plant them deep enough, and leave them outside, prod a hole about 4” deep and drop the bulb in then cover with soil. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.