Forum home Plants

Plant id please

Aero84Aero84 Posts: 57
Hello, 

today I got excited thinking that something was happening to my agapanthus. It was given to us by my FIL and I initially thought it had died however it seemed to be giving life a chance again which I was very pleased about. However having looked at it today I’m now not so convinced it is an agapanthus. Can anyone tell me what this is, it looks like a type of grass possibly. 

Thanks 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,448
    Sorry, it's not agapanthus, it's a type of grass that comes from bird feeder seed. Can't remember the name though, possibly a type of millet.
  • AsarumAsarum Posts: 657
    Looks like a Carex to me, possibly C. pendula.  A sedge and a thug in the wrong place.  Unless you have a wild garden, I should get rid of it asp.
    East Anglia
  • Aero84Aero84 Posts: 57
    This has really made me laugh. I did have the pot near a bird feeder so that explains it! 

A new spot in the garden to buy plants for then 😊
  • Aero84Aero84 Posts: 57
    Asarum said:
    Looks like a Carex to me, possibly C. pendula.  A sedge and a thug in the wrong place.  Unless you have a wild garden, I should get rid of it asp.
    Thanks I’ll dig it up this weekend. 
  • AsarumAsarum Posts: 657
    AnniD could be right though, looking again!
    East Anglia
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,408
    When you dig it up, break up the rootball to see if there's any agapanthus lurking in there. Mine are only an inch or so high just now so it's possible that yours is hidden by the grass/sedge.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • lilysillylilysilly Posts: 511
    @Aero84 the original agapanthus might still be there lurking under that grass. Some of mine are only just poking through. When you dig it up if you see thick fleshy white roots attached to a plump shoot it will be agapanthus.