Forum home Tools and techniques

Electric weed burner

,is she wasting her  money  ?Mum has seen   an electric weed burner from Victor Tools this one
£40 ......one zap and the weeds die
Has anyone used these ,

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited April 2020
    Those produce very hot air (600C - think of a hair dryer on steroids!) which burns the top of the weeds off.  It won't kill the roots and is generally only of use on gravel driveways etc which are infested by small annual weeds as it will also kill the seeds.  No use on weeds in borders, perennial weeds such as dandelion or close to wanted plants, as they will get fried too.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 355
    I was thinking of getting one of these, I have gravel in the front but a lot of slabs in back,
    granma, have you got yours yet??? if so any advice,
    do you think gas or electric is best???
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,929
    Hi Ann,I don't think this would be beneficial, mum wanted one of these for weeding in the border for dandelions ,buttercups, bindweed etc.

By reading what Bob has said  I don't think it would work for her.but  I would be interested in  anyone's opinion    who has used them.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,579
    I have a gas one which I would assume is pretty much the same, yes they are designed for gravel or paving, they have the same effect on perennial weeds as a hoe will. it kills the leaves but doesn't do anything else so it will take a lot of goes to kill a dandelion or bindweed.
    Another use for them is stale seedbedding, you prepare your seedbed for carrots or other slow germinating crops sow the seeds, then wait 3-5 days and run the flame weeder over the bed killing all the newly germinated weeds but not the carrots that have  not appeared yet. This is why I have mine.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    I'm sold on them. I use one to remove weeds in awkward places that won't pull out.

I also burnt out 30 conifer stumps with one. Not a recommended use, but amazingly effective with a bit of practice.

If you want to clear a large area, there are more effective methods, but for spot weeding, paving etc worth having one. 

• PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    I have one. It was around £25 from Amazon. I would not pay more than that for one.

I use it regularly. Not for your normal weeding as it would take forever. I use it on weeds that are hard to get at (up the side of walls,block paving, gravel etc...)

It is not an essential part of gardening kit, however it does come in rather useful for the above. It it also quite satisfying when you hear the weeds crackling under the heat.
    Thanks all of you, sounds alright, Skandi,
    Gemmaj and PRose are your gas or electric?? if gas, how long does a canister last, and are replacement canisters easy to get???
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Mine was a cheap electric one from Lidl. 
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    @widgetwilk ann mine is an electric burner
    Thought electric would be best, but will go for cheapest first.